Tuesday, October 4, 2011

C-17 - THE ARRIVAL


C-17


BELOW
At the museum near the Clothing Distribution Center - where I've obtained these glorious oversized snow bibs (for fieldwork everyday) I stand on Polar melted ice - from BOTH Poles!!!


Below: We are just about to board the C17 to head to ANTARCTICA. Military cargo jets are very intimidating by the way - and overwhelmingly exciting.


 We are invited into the cockpit to take pictures and chat with the pilots. I'm still not sure if that was the best idea, but we seemed to do okay...

                                             
 We flew over sea ice, like that above, for 2-3 of approximately 6 total flight hours.


Below | It's warm in the main part of the plane - but in the back it's another story. This area is just behind the seating, holding in the cargo pallets. A pool of water at one point settled here - but apparently turned to ice. A small hint as to what's awaiting us. Duhn dun duhnnn!



After 5 1/2 - 6 hours or so we get dressed - and ready for landing!!!

The C17 lands on The Ross Island Ice Shelf. Yes, the plane - landed on a sheet of ice...


The wind was painful and sharp, I had to cover my face almost immediately, but apparently, it was a very 'warm' and lovely day... I don't recall the temperature for that exact day but, I presume it wasn't too far below zero Celsius. 

We load into "Ivan the Terra Bus" and are shuttled up the hill off of the Ice Shelf and onto Ross Island to McMurdo Station, Antarctica for a debriefing. We start to settle into what will be our home for the next 2.5 months or so.
   
I have officially arrived:


It's not exactly what I was expecting. And what I was expecting is difficult to recall at this point. But this, without doubt, is a magical and brilliant part of this world. I'm so honored and privileged to be here.

1 comment:

  1. I am so amazed at the pics so far and cannot wait to see more. What is it like were you work? And what about play time? I know you have been just getting the training. Looking forward to the next posts.

    ReplyDelete