Wednesday, October 5, 2011

GETTIN' AROUND TOWN

McMURDO STATION



This is a troll. A shocking and delightful surprise. He lives under a footbridge near the Crary Lab where we work on Beaker Street, which is more like a snow path area vs. street.  









Below | I don't know what the Motherships are - but I'm pretty sure I already have one (Hi Mom). 
And I'm hoping that I'll never have to use an inflatable raft in Antarctica.

The most darling post office sign in the world. Oh, what I would give to have a penguin deliver my mail....


Trash sorting is the Real Deal here. Something like 60% of everything used here is recycled. EVERYTHING gets shipped off of the continent - so it's something that we spend a noticeable amount of time paying attention to.





This is where all of our fish friends are kept after we capture them. Fresh salt water is pumped in straight from the sea and kept at just about the same temperature - negative 1.86 C or so - maybe a little 'warmer' but not much. Cold fish!


Below are some of the Antarctic sea creatures in the Touch Tank. I'm fine just looking at them.





Below | All of the doors that lead to the outside area - are hardcore walk-in freezer/cold room doors. It makes sense - but it's still strange having to open a walk-in freezer door every time you want to go outside - or inside for that matter.


This is the view through that particular door of Observatory Hill, McMurdo Station, Antarctica. 

I was informed that this man "blessed" Dan's cupcake. First thought: some kind of wizard or something? Answer: No - he's a deacon - a non-denominational religious representative at the chapel. Yes - the chapel here at McMurdo Station overlooking the Sea (ice) aka The Chapel of the Snows.

No comments:

Post a Comment